Friday, October 06, 2006

Distractions

Sigh.

Enscriptchun is trying to tempt me away from writing a great book of Asian American poetry by posting about a new Playstation 2 game, Okami from Capcom's Clover Studio.

To see the other comments on it around the web, the world has become a lifeless place, as shown in the game's use of Hokusai-style Japanese woodblock print visuals.

Playing as Ama Terasu, a sun god who takes on the form of a wolf, your goal is to bring life back to the world. You bring life back to the world by defeating lots of beasts (Who apparently don't qualify as living enough or good?)

With each beast you defeat, the world's life force is restored just a bit, with colors and eventually people appearing. Apparently, thanks to the celestial brush, painting actually becomes a part of the gameplay process, and there's tons of mythology, folklore and fun to be had.

The celestial brush sounds ten times more fun than the BFG in most games these days.

Thank heavens I don't own a Playstation 2. But if I did, this is one I'd check out.

1 comment:

G said...

sup man,

Thanks for the link... I've managed to pull myself away from the game long enough to notice, haha. ;)

But yes... Okami is stinkin' awesome! I proudly proclaim so with all my latent geek-ness.

Oh, and don't worry about doing harm to animals... in the game, the enemies you fight are demons / evil spirits from Japanese mythologies (like imps, a monstrous spider queen with a woman's head, a possessed door!).

Borrow a friend's PS2, rent the game, and enjoy! ;)