Thursday, January 16, 2014

Connie Willis: The Soul Selects Her Own Society: Invasion and Repulsion: A Chronological Reinterpretation of Emily Dickinson's Poems: A Wellsian Perspective

One of the chance finds I came across recently was Connie Willis' satirical take on War of Worlds. as Emily Dickinson's poetry might have captured it. If it was analyzed by an English professor. The final result is hilarious, if you're a writer.


This is a very short story in essay form that works on many levels and I can safely say it is one I'll be re-reading many times in my lifetime when I need a laugh.

I roll my eyes most of the time when I see people writing about poets. The writers tend to reveal they really have no understanding of what a poet really does or how they process the world. But Willis handles the material and all of its abusrdities well. You must absolutely read Connie's hilarious footnotes to get the full measure. If you've been in academia, poetry, and science fiction for a while, this one is well worth the time to read.

No comments: